Monday 13 July 2009

100 days of misery

“The race is run something like this. The environment is the first priority for changes…all the paraphernalia reflecting your predecessor’s siege mentality – all those are ruthlessly spirited away in black bags…curriculum guidelines are drawn up…willing and unwilling staff are despatched to observe good practice …the illusion is that at some point you will reach a finishing line and triumph.”

(Angela Anning, 1983)

Looking back at my first 100 days as a headteacher, these words fall on me like drops of boiling water onto snow. They describe all too poignantly what I think about the recent history
of my leadership...

I recently found this piece, which I wrote during my first year as a headteacher. You can read the whole paper here.

No comments:

Post a Comment